History of the Coalinga-Huron Library District
The Coalinga-Huron Library District was formed in 1912 as a school/library district, which means that the districts share the same board. We are a special district in Fresno County with a main library in Coalinga and a branch library in Huron. In 1913, the district was given a Carnegie grant of $20,000 for the main library building in Coalinga, which was completed and opened to the public in September 1914. The Huron Branch Library lot was purchased by the Coalinga Union High School District Library Board from the Mouren family. The building for the library was the old kindergarten building of the Huron School. The branch library was opened on February 28, 1950, three months after the building and lot were purchased. Not only does the Coalinga Library offer books, audio books, reference materials, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, it is also the home of an extensive collection of California and Native American history.